Monday, February 19, 2007

What I hope to do with my blog.

For the past several months, I have been wondering about starting a blog. What would I talk about, share? I know!! My faith and my desire to help other mothers in their Catholic faith. I come from a family of 5, three kids and our parents. Today, I am the only practicing/devout Catholic child, my two brothers are either not practicing, or not Catholic all together. Too many times, I have heard parents day that they don't know enough about their faith to share it and live it within their own families. The next generation depends on the parents of today to pass down the Catholic faith. Our beautiful Catholic faith is a heritage that should be cherished and lived, and shared and utilized!! We have the fullness of what Christ gave the 12 apostles, the sacraments of forgiveness, spiritual food, the Word, the Holy Spirit, prayer. Every Sunday, folks walk into Church to attend Mass and looking at them, they neither have the proper reverence, knowledge, and/or reasons for being there. I want to help. I want to share what I know and read. I want the holy Catholic Church to flourish and be the wellspring for our beings, families, marriages, and society.

Dear Father, I pray that this is the purpose of my blog, that I may share the love and devotion that you have given me to others. Especially, I want to reach the mothers of Catholic families and even those who are not Catholic, but interested in knowing more about our faith and give them the courage and resources they need to pass the Catholic faith down to their children. I ask this in Christ Jesus' name, who lives and reigns with you in the union of the holy Spirit forever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I look forward to reading your blog!! I've linked it from mine!!

Carrie =-) said...

Hello! I have just been perusing your blog (I clicked the link you left in your post to the MaterAmabilis group). I admire you for your devotion to your faith and to your children and family. I home schooled my boys (born '96 & '98) for one year, (my oldest's kindergarten), but as I had to defend my desire to do so for many weeks with my husband, my confidence was extremely low even though I felt in my heart it was the best thing for my children. 5 years later, my husband has changed his tune now that he sees how public school is disservicing our oldest who has a mild form of autism, so I am hoping to home school them starting this summer. My husband is a cradle Catholic, and I became Christian on my own in junior high through Bible studies with a friend. I went to a couple of different Catholic churches with Dan because I knew I wanted to marry him and also wanted to share our faith in God together, but I felt so uncomfortable, like I was interloping in a club where everyone knew what was going on but me. I told him I could never be Catholic (giving him the chance to stop dating me if that was a deal breaker), but he wanted to marry me anyway. We were married by a JP, but I still wanted God to be present in our marriage. We tried other churches over the years, but he always found something wrong with them. After our 4th child was born about a year ago, I suffered from severe depression. I have battle depression since I was 10, and the only thing that has ever brought me solace was God's eternal love. No matter how deep a depression I have been in and how much it convinced me that no one loved me, I could not escape His love and how much he suffered so that I could have salvation. In my darkest places, He remained there with me. So from this place I told Dan to find out whatever I needed to do to become Catholic. I was not gauranteeing that I would be converted, but I was desperate for help with my faith - I needed church, any church of God. I have been attending RCIA since October and will be getting baptized, confirmed, and take first communion on Saturday. I am so excited! I look forward to mass every week and feel honored to be welcomed into the faith and blessed to be able to share it with my children. I am so happy to give them what I yearned for throughout my childhood, that which was missing. God does for me what antidepressants could not because I think rather than "depression" I was just feeling the pain of the void that is in my heart when I do not have God in my life. It is hard to be a Catholic mom when you do not know very many. My best friend is Wesleyan and talks very openly and passionately about how the Catholic church specifically does not follow the Bible and how I need to be careful. But I know this course is what is best for me and my family. Dan and I will have our marriage blessed next Monday. I do not mean to talk your ear off, but I felt a sense of fellowship with you as I was reading your blog, and you said once "nobody reads my blog anyway," and I wanted to tell you I read it! And it spoke to me. I will send you my address if you would like. God bless you!