Monday, April 19, 2021

Age discrimination and my husband's job search.

The past two years we have had our share of hard moments to swallow.  In January 2019, after 18 years of devoted service, my beloved scientist husband was told by a newly commissioned department chair that his faculty position as the director of their flow lab will come to an end in six months.  Money, funding the lab was the issue and that they wanted a more aggressive approach to the running of the lab.  They downgraded the position to masters/non-faculty and hired a guy from the Netherlands!

My husband has been very loyal to the needs of the researchers that used his faculty.  Many times on the weekends, he would answer calls, go and help a grad students on the weekends, talked one through an issue using the machines.  He created a flow microscopy graduate course and taught it for 10 years, held open houses, seminars, and wrote a grant and was awarded a $300,000 grant for a new sorter machine.  He worked in collaboration for other grants, other research projects, and happily learned new research.  He even was invited and accepted the opportunity to be an NIH grant reviewer for a few years.

Well, now here we are 4 months our from his retirement and he has been looking for a new science position with no avail.  Over the last 2 years he has applied, been screened, called for an interview, prepared for the interview, interviewed, and then rejected.  Time after time, month after month and now year after year.  He's 64 and still wanting to work in science.  He told me one day last year, "I'm not done with science yet."  I know he isn't and my heart just breaks for him.

All this time, I have had no ability to help him, except to pray.  I have prayed novenas, 2 54-day rosaries (which actually extended his position each time, since they couldn't find someone who did what he did for 18 years).  I have offered up Mass, and fasted, but still no new position comes.  He has a good attitude, better than me.

Anyway, just wanted to put it out there.  If anyone wants to add my husband to their prayer list for a new position which would allow him to finish up his research career the right way,  I thank you.



2 comments:

J Man said...

Hi Ebeth,

I'm a bit slow sometimes but I just figured out who you are . . . DUH. I understand the pain of age discrimination. Oh wait, didn't Congress fix that years ago and make it illegal? Yeah, right!

Once we're past a "certain age," companies no longer care. The biggest LIE in the corporate world is, "Our people are our most important asset."

We've all heard it, some of us have even believed it. Corporations know they can get away with discrimination (of many types) because the candidates don't really know what goes on during back room discussions. We're told, "Another candidate best met our needs" or "We've decided to put this position on hold" or "Another candidate was better qualified." Likely these are all versions of the same lie . . . corporate discrimination. Unfortunately, I think older white guys are the MOST DISCRIMINATED AGAINST GROUP of all!

All the best as the search continues. God Bless.

J Man

grams ramblings said...

How are things now, with your husband. I hope he has now found someone who appreciates his worth and doesn't just look at figures which, in the end, don't mean much. In our carol service this week I looked around our choir members and was delighted to see that the age difference between the oldest and the youngest was 82 years!!!!!. The youngest at 12 has a lot to learn and has the most beautiful voice, the oldest at 94, has a wealth of experience and a great deal of love to pass on. What a blessing.
I'm sure your dear husband still has a lot to give .

God bless,

🙏🎄🙏

gramswisewords.blogspot.com