Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Grant me forgiveness and tears....


From Magnificat

March 17th   St Patrick's Day

Hymn

"Forgive our sins as we forgive,"
You taught us, Lord, to pray,
but you along can grant us grace
To live the words we say.

How can your pardon reach and bless
The unforgiving heart
That broods on wrongs and will not let
Old bitterness depart?

In blazing light your cross reveals
The truth we dimly knew:
What trivial debts are owed to us,
How great our debt to you!

Lord, cleanse the depths within our souls
and bid resentment cease.
Then, bound to all in bonds of love,
Our lives will spread your peace.

Then on the other side an amazing Irish Medieval poem that I will keep to my heart always!

A Prayer to Remove the Wooden Beam

Grant me tears, O Lord, to blot out my sins; may I not
    cease from them, O God, until I have been purified.
May my heart be burned by the fire of redemption;
    grant me pure tears for Mary....
When I contemplate my sins, grant me tears always,
    for great are the claims of tears on cheeks.
Grant me tears when rising, grant me tears when
   resting, beyond your every gift altogether for love
      of you, Mary's Son.
Grant me tears in bed to moisten my pillow, so that
     His dear ones may help to cure the soul.
Grant me contrition of heart so that I may not be in
    disgrace; O Lord, protect me and grant me tears....
For my anger, my jealousy, and my pride, a foolish
    deed, in pools from my inmost parts bring forth
        tears.
My falsohoods, my lying, and my greed, grievous
     the three, to banish them all from me, O Mary
         grant me tears.

No comments: