To his credit:
1. founded monasteries in Rome and Sicily
2. was ordained a deacon and served in Constantinople for 5 years
3. On Sept 3, was elected Pope as the first Monk to be so elected
4. Reformed the administration of the Church's estates
5. Devoted the surplus to assist the poor and ransoming prisoners
6. Negotiated treaties with the Lombard tribes that were ravaging Northern Italy
7. Cultivated good relationships with the Lombard and other barbarian groups
8. Kept the Church's position secure in the areas were Roman rule was broken
9. Propagation of the faith in England by way of sending Augustine of Canterbury and others there
10. A proliferate writer on topics such as pastoral care, spirituality, and morals
Designating himself as the servant of the servants of God, Pope Gregory the Great devoted his life in the service of God and things good and peaceful.
Sounds like another pope we all know, love and miss dearly that we will hopefully deem "the great" as well.
St. Gregory the Great and Bl. John Paul II, pray for us!