Wednesday, March 16, 2011

40-days Lenten Challenge for our marriages by Heidi Hess Saxton

Heidi is really covering all the bases with her 40-days Challenge and I am enjoying it.  Here is an exerpt from her "Day 7" post.  
The lovely part of marriage is that there is always someone nearby to distract you when you are stressed-out, overwhelmed, or otherwise in need of a little fun. The question is: are you still that person for your spouse?


Do you provide for him diversion, solace, and understanding?

Do you let him retreat into his “man cave” for a time when he seems to need it – even if it means riding herd on the kids for a bit longer until he catches his second wind?

When he seems “stuck” in his work mode, do you help him gain perspective with a pleasant diversion, enticing aroma, or timely kiss or shoulder rub? Or do you roll your eyes as if to say, “Here we go again!”

Honest, now: When your husband gets stuck in “work” mode, how often do you listen halfheartedly without ever taking your eyes off the computer screen?

“A worthy wife brings joy to her husband, peaceful and full is his life” (Sirach 26:2).

Today’s challenge: Think of something you liked to do when you were dating, and (if possible) re-create a similar experience! (Don’t forget to turn off the computer and make sure all electronics and other distractions are set on “mute” or “off”!)

Today’s prayer: Lord, I want to be a safe place for those I love. Show me where I need to adjust my priorities, so I have ample time for the people who need me in real life!

No comments: