Saturday, August 14, 2010

St. Ann's Academy to close this year.

We won't be homeschooling our daughters this year, they will attending Catholic schools instead.  After much struggle and prayer, it is for the best.  Basically, we were an island, we didn't have the support we needed, the "Christian" homeschool support group wasn't open to our faith, so none of their children could play with our children.  The Catholic families that did homeschool, came and went, so there just weren't enough to do co-ops, fieldtrips, etc. to make it interesting.  Our daughters were lonely and bored, I was running out of options to make things interesting, and my knight has his hands full with his full-time job and taking care of his mother.



Why am I airing this to the world? Because, there are times when decisions made are for the best despite what others think.  Home education is a wonder and noble lifestyle, but it is not for every family, and there can be a time when the family outgrows this mode of education.  It is not perfect, and it is not the easy road as we have seen.  In December, 2002, we made the decision to take our daughters out of the Catholic school for several reasons. Many didn't agree with our decision and we lost many friends because of it.  It was a dark time socially, but it felt good to us as family, as we progressed during the next few months.



Months turned into years, the girls studied, became reading machines, excelled in their instruments, learned to sew, bake, and crochet.  We accompanied my knight on trips during the year, from Quebec City to Boston, to DC taking in historic sites and learning some of the language.  We attended Mass on Thursdays followed by Krispy Kreme donuts as our tradition the girls looked forward to each week.  They took art classes at the university, volunteered at Give2theTroops, took food to the soup kitchen, and played sports for the county recreational center.  Both girls performed their music in competitions, recitals, and orchestras, at times taking their music to the next level in small bands where they played at the retirement community their grandmother lives in, and at other community events.  It's been fun and I truly feel that without these past 7.5 years of home education, our daughters would not have had half the experiences they did.




However, with that said, my knight and I feel that they have outgrown this mode of education.  They need to take what we have given them and move on to the next level in an environment that will allow them more friendships, higher level of education, and a community of fellow students from homes that desire the same as we do for our children....or so I hope.




Homeschooling is growing, I read in the paper today. More and more families are making the decision to take their children out of the government-run institutions and providing their children with a safer, more stable, true academically correct education. I'm all for that and agree that the public school system has gone awry. But home education is not for everyone, it is truly not for the weak at heart, mind, and spirit.  It takes work, creativity, and discipline.



It is my prayer that parents will not just take their children to school every day and think they have done their job. Their job is of first priority to instill in their children manners, respect, charity, and a deep sense of responsibility to being truthful, righteous, and fair.  With these qualities, the teachers can then give them the education needed to be 'somewhat' prepared for the world. It is the parents that need to be responsible for getting them ready for eternity with good character. No one can do this as well as a loving parent.



On a church marque I saw today: "Some prepare more for summer vacation than for eternity." I agree. But this mom has a plan. Besides watching every day what her children will be learning at their new schools, I will be praying for them and those that are teaching them. I'll be volunteering in their schools, the teachers will know me, and I will know them.




If you are a home educating family and it seems that things are not going as well as they once did, pray and ponder with Our Lord.  After a time, give yourself permission to change gears.  The Pillar household is changing gears this year, with lots of apprehension, anxiety, and hope we are taking this new leap of faith.  We could use your prayers and support. thank you.

3 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Hi! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it will work out well, and I expect you've given them the start they need in life.

Anonymous said...

I pray that you, your "knight," and your daughters are blessed as you step into this venture. I can only imagine how your girls must feel, as they are entering a new world.

I agree that parents' main job, aside from seeing that they are taught to love and worship the Lord, is--as you said--"to instill in their children manners, respect, charity...." Having taught at the college level, I can attest that apparently far too many parents fail to do that very thing. Seriously--a number of the students I've had the misfortune of dealing with seemed to be utterly clueless about the most basic common courtesy or respect. And they usually were churchgoers! Sad, sad, sad...

By the way, I was homeschooled for a couple of years (5th and 8th grades), and you're right that it's not for every family (probably not even the majority of families). Likewise, sometimes people need to "change gears" and do something else. I'm doing that right now regarding my career goals. (I'd appreciate your prayers, by the way!)

This was an excellent reflection. Thanks so much for sharing it! In fact, if you don't mind, I'd like to share part of it on my blog (with a link back to your site, of course), as I'm sure a number of people would benefit from it.

Be blessed!

Evan

joannaB73 said...

We have done both - home schooling and then my youngest daughter went to secondary Catholic school. There are different times for different seasons. :)