Chewing gum during Mass. Not just chewing, but munching, smacking, and plainly looking like a cow working on a load of cud in the pasture.
Ok, so we hear many say, "Well, just be glad they are here, present and accounted for." Cast not judgement...... yeah, I know. But what about the responsibility of understanding? Understanding WHY we attend Mass is the main issue here in my book.
Why is Mass here for us, celebrated, what is it?
1. It's a Prayer
2. It is a time for sins to be forgiven
3. A miracle happens during every Mass
4. It's a gift from Christ Himself
5. We celebrate it at His request, "Do this in memory of me"
6. It's educational, at each Mass the word of God is opened to us.
7. It's meeting Heaven on Earth
8. Together with the angels and saints we gather in His name
9. It is the offering up of our sorrows, transgressions, and thanksgiving
10. It's reaching out together with my brothers and sister in Christ to my God
Being prepared for this event takes some effort.
1. Look at the readings prior to getting to Mass
2. Find something or someone that needs extra prayer and offer your time at Mass for them
3. Practice self-discipline and skip your coffee and breakfast at least one hour before Mass
4. This includes GUM
5. Make your time at Mass a sacred time that is your gift to God, who loves you more than you know.
6. Respect those around you that are there in prayer for someone or something dear to them
7. Dress as if you were meeting your maker and all those who you have read about in saint books
8. Actively practice peace and patience during the time of preparation for and after Mass
9. As you leave Mass with Christ in your stomach, remember that He is truly physically within you now.
10.Be blessed and bless others with your gift of love for God and His sacrifice for all mankind.
Now, would you still show up in flipflops, chewing gum?
I hope not.