Thursday, May 21, 2009

Book Review: Parenting a Grieving Child


February 2008, my father-in-law passed away which was very hard on my knight and our three kids.  I blogged about it as the process of his suffering and death impacted our lives so deeply.  One day I received a comment asking me if a book could be sent to me.  It was like having a heartfelt prayer reach out through the computer monitor to my children.  Mary DeTurris Poust, the author, and generous soul reached out to my children in her book, "Parenting a Grieving Child" signed and sent to my rescue immediately.  What a treasure trove of ideas and points on the griefing process of a child that is very different than that of an adult.  Mary has put together a book with seasoned parents and experts on the subject of grief in children.  "The experience of loss does not wait for children to grow into adulthood." Allen Wolfelt, Helping Children Cope with Grief shares in the 4th chapter of Mary's book.  Included in this book are sections on activities, and parenting to-do sections that help lead the grieving back to normalcy by engaging in favored hobbies, sports, and other activities that were common prior to the death.  Mary DeTurris Poust's book is a wonderful help to those of us adults with children in their care be it in childcare facilities, schools, and parishes.

Anyway, I have read my copy cover-to-cover appreciating all the advice and wisdom of it's contributors and now it is time for me to pass it on to a friend.

This past Sunday a family, and our neighborhood, suffered a dear loss.  I am passing this book on to my friend, a newly widowed mother of 5, 3 of which are still in their young teens.  Her husband, at age 53, fought long and hard the battle of cancer for the past year.  They were married 33 years and well loved in our community as the visitation proved with hundreds came to pay their last respects to the family.  All are devastated, including this pillarclimber.

A heartfelt thank-you goes out again to Mary DeTurris Poust for her gift and I want her to know that it is being passed on to another who needs it more than I at this time.

No comments: