Sunday, January 9, 2011

A REPOST: The Pope's 10 Commandments for drivers and HYPERMILING!!!

Well, here in NC, we are seeing the fuel prices jumping back up to over $3/gallon and I think it's time to revisit my post from June 10, 2008 on hypermiling.  It was great because the pope had just come out with a Ten Commandments of being a considerate driver, so here it goes:
____________________________________________________

Hypermiling is the way to drive now! Believe me when I say this...I got another 93 miles out of my gas tank this time by changing my driving habits; thinking more and accelerating less. My knight has me driving the "family car" which is the popular SUV and more than once I have been told that there is nothing you can do to get more gas mileage out of those things, but alas!

Now what does the pope have to do with my new driving technique? Well, last June he came out with the Ten Commandments for drivers, which I thought was amazingly funny, but needed. As I have been driving along, beaming at the seams and being passed by "gunners" I thought about those ten commendments and thought that they lend to hypermiling. Here's how:

1. You shall not kill.
If you are driving the speed limit or even a tad lower, you have more control of the vehicle and less chance of serious crashes, etc.

2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal
harm.
Again, I say, driving the speed limit or below, not accelerating excessively, and just plain behaving more conscientiously, less chance of mortal harm.

3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.
Driving more conscientiously lends to us having more time to plan ahead for up coming lights, turns, pedestrians, bikes, etc.

4. Be charitable and help your neighbour in need, especially victims of accidents.
As we learn to drive more kindly, possibly we would be less road angry and more humane?

5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion
of sin.
Hypermiling is so peaceful! Constantly listening to your engine and driving as smoothly as possible, envisioning all the gas droplets that are NOT going into burn oblivion. The only power and domination one could feel would be triumph over the gas pump and oil companies.

6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not
in a fitting condition to do so.
Hypermiling also makes one think: Do I need to go out today? Is this trip necessary? Can I bum gas money out of mom one more time to go hang with my buddies?

7. Support the families of accident victims.
Hypermiling could very well lead to far less accidents! As we become more aware of our driving techniques and low down, making more time allowances, we can become a nation of peaceful drivers!

8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so
that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.
With less and less accidents, more and more calmer drivers, forgiveness is truly possible. More so than ever before are we finding ourselves needing to change the way we think about that common, but necessary thing we do in our daily lives, drive.

9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.
Hypermiling is an adjustment, but slowing down, allowing more travel time, and being aware of our technique will be a better thing all around, especially for pedestrians, our children and passengers and cyclists.

10. Feel responsible toward others.
Finally a reason to be responsible drivers, to save money, that's right where it hurts. If by changing our habits and saving money at the pump causes us to slow down and be more kind behind the wheel, than so be it!

No, I am not for raising gas prices, not at all! But, why pout about it when there is a silver lining to this whole thing!!

5 comments:

Marie said...

A dear Priest friend had a novel way of dealing with impatient drivers. Anyone who tooted him or gave him a er bad sign Fr. Theo would with a gentle smile make the Sign of The Cross.

As for me I dont drive, the roads are safer with me OFF them lol.

Good pointers ty Ebeth:)

Peace, JOY & Love to you:)

Marie xooxoxo

Cathy Adamkiewicz said...

Thank you for this! I sent the link to my hubby -- he is obsessed with gas mileage. Love it.

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

What fun! 10 Commandments for driving! Good points, too. We try to combine various errands to save gas, and we make out a grocery list - in fact, we have a running grocery list so that if we should happen to be out on another errand we can swing by the store instead of making an extra trip. I also plan meals a week ahead, all of which helps with grocery shopping.

I shop Amazon rather than jumping in the car and going to the mall, but that's because money is tight and I hate shopping anyway.

I wonder what other people might be doing to save gas.

Thanks for this post.

RAnn said...

My husband would hate to be behind you in traffic. His driving is a bit on the aggressive side I'm afraid.

Anonymous said...

Excellent points for us to keep in mind. I like how you blended your own thoughts with the Pope's admonishments. Back when gas prices shot up a couple of years or so ago, all of a sudden people were scrambling for ways to save gas, develop more fuel-efficient engines, and even call for alternative energy sources such as bio-fuels. But then gas prices went down, and people went back to a business-as-usual attitude. Maybe this will reawaken them.

Evan