Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A Word about Scapulars

Just one of many elements in the beauty of the Catholic faith are the wonderful sacramentals we have to our avail as reminders of our faith and dependence upon Christ our savior. The Monstrance, the rosary, holy water fonts, medals, the crucifix, and scapulars just to name a few. As a cradle Catholic, I know about scapulars from my childhood, had one that I never wore as a kid, but to my knowledge I have never seen anyone wear one. Well, actually, I have seen a mom wear one about a year ago. I know that they are very important and that our Blessed Mother instructed us about them and that we are to be wearing them and depending upon their prayers for strength and direction, but I need more information. A few years ago, as a homeschooling mom, I have many very devout Roman Catholics that are steeped in the traditions to glean from. I was ordering more curriculum from my favorite resource, All Catholic Books.com, and Mark Bonds the owner has a separate link for the miraculous medal and green scapulars. I checked into the green scapulars and found out that they are for the sick and conversion. I quickly purchased 10 with my book order. When they arrived, I put on under my husband's side of the bed, he is a protestant, and gave a few away to sick. Of course, I knew enough to get them blessed by a priest before giving them away. Recently, I saw a blog post from somewhere in our Catholic blogger community that talked about scapulars and asked the question: Do you wear one? I was in a hurry and didn't link to it, but I would like to know how fellow Catholics today are using them. I purchased a brown one for myself and my two daughters. I have been wearing mine, until one of the strings broke during the night. For those of you that are devoted to them and their usage, please give me some advice on how to wear, pray, and maintain one.

5 comments:

Steven R. McEvoy said...

I am enrolled in the brown scapular. But wear the medal on a rope rosary around my neck.

EC Gefroh said...

Good post Ebeth! My son and I wear the Brown Scapular of OLOMC. My dh doesn't like anything around his neck but he firmly believes in the promises of our Lady to St. Simon Stock. We have been enrolled in the Brown Scapular a couple of times.

Suzanne said...

I think it is best to be "enrolled."
That usually means having a priest bless the scapular and I believe he would say particular prayers if it was done the best way with you and your children. Our Friar priest out at Mother of the Redeemer Retreat center invited us to be enrolled, so alot of homeschool moms and their children went out and we did this. I try to wear mine often, but I do mess up at times, still I do wear my Miraculous Medal probably every day. I did know about the green scapular and I'll tell you, there is a beautiful power with it. My husband, a convert, had one in his wallet for years..only because his sister gave it to him when she chose to become a Catholic years ago. I am not sure she even knew what the purpose was as she doesn't go now, I don't think, but he didn't know and I didn't know, but I thought it was important that he had chosen to keep it and accept whatever it meant. It spoke to me with "hope in my heart." Well, low and behold, many years later, he enters the Church. It was several more years later that we heard about the green scapular being associated with "conversion."
Danny is a good Catholic man.
It took my breath away and sort of still does. I like to think that the good Lord took Danny as he was...mixed up at times, but basically a good boy and son in his heart and because Danny took that scapular as like a mustard seed of faith, God built on it! What cha think? So, I'm glad you brought this up. I know some who I think perhaps need one. It was good I came to read this here today.
God bless you. Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Our whole family wears the brown scapular and personally I never take mine off, even in the shower. It has been such a blessing. Each day as I am getting dressed There is a beautiful reminder that I belong to Someone.

Melissa said...

I was enrolled in the Brown Scapular nearly two years ago. I only take it off to shower (I also kiss it every time I put it back on). You may want to make the Morning Offering daily:
http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/scapinfo.php