Monday, April 30, 2007

Families, please nurture your sons in their call!

Did anyone remind me about Sunday being the day of prayer for vocations? We were busy celebrating this year's First Communion class, there wasn't even a mention of it during the homily. I found out about it just now from CNA.

Anyway, Pope Benedict has called on assignment all families to nurture the vocation to the priesthood. He prayed for families, "that in them, the 'seed' of the call to priestly ministry may continue to nurture and ripen." The Pope continued to say that all the baptized "are called to contribute to the work of salvation," but that "in the Church there are, however, a number of vocations especially dedicated to the service of communion. The person primarily responsible for Catholic communion is the Pope, Peter's Successor and Bishop of Rome. Alongside him, custodians and masters of unity are the bishops, successors of the Apostles, assisted by priests. But consecrated persons and all the faithful are also at the service of communion."

Moms and Dads, I know this is hard, but we really, really do need more priest in our parishes, cities, and towns. The Church is relying on us to hear our sons calls as well and see that they are properly prepared and accepted in the call. Support is the most important thing they need right now.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Sometimes I find the church a little lacking in it's zeal in recruitment. I mean it is the 21st century. Get on it!! I wish the church would go to career days at school (I guess separation of church and state cover that). I look at my friends with boys and want to ask...have you talked to your sons about it? Easy for me to say, I have a girl. But the church has to be more proactive, talk it up. I find it frustrating that they have dropped the ball and now we have to fix it. I guess you could say I'm a little antsy about this subject :)

EC Gefroh said...

Ebeth, whenever I speak to a priest, I ask him to pray for my son's call to the priesthood.