Monday, February 20, 2017

Multi women...one wife...


On February 13th, my husband and I will celebrate 24 years of marriage. During these 24 years, he has been married to probably 3 different people.....maybe 4. Let me explain:

The first woman he married was young, beautiful, and excited about life. The prospect of new adventures and the children she will have with her new husband were invigorating to her.  She had been a strong single woman for years and met the man of her dreams who swept her off her feet.  The world and her life was all ahead of her. 
The second woman my husband married was a new mother, with babies, a stay-at-home mom, changing diapers, chasing toddlers, and living day-to-day in the throes of the building and keeping the home happy, comfortable, and welcoming.  She was in love with her husband, children and the life she was living.
 
The third woman my husband married was the mother of teenagers and young adults achieving their goals, making friends, high school, grades, sports, music lessons and growing in their spiritual lives. With the oldest marrying and leaving the nest, the others struggling with their inner growth, boyfriends, heartbreaks, graduation and college, the children began to need her less and her arms began to feel lighter and less required....life began to feel different.

The fourth woman my husband married is the present one who is in the throes of a transition.  My children are scattering, busy, and days can go by without hearing from them or seeing them.  The house seems empty, large, and painfully quiet. At this point in my life, I am realizing that I had made NO plans for what remained for me as my own person.  For the past few years, I have worked a job where I walked Walmarts, grocery stores, and target stores checking on mayonnaise, hair care products, and ice cream....most of these products I don't even use, much less care about.   It basically sucked the life out of me.....I cried every Monday morning...got gloomy Sunday evenings, dragged around at night after a long day on my feet and never worked on any of my hobbies. 






Hobbies are good to have and hold on to despite how busy one is.  The creative outlet that these jewels provide are life enhancing, inspiring, soul-recovering, and a source of joy.  Whether it is gardening, sewing, cooking, or bird-watching, whatever it is, don't let it go...don't forget it, and by all means, don't let it gather dust.  Family and hobbies are the best for getting through this life and especially a joyless, drudge job.



Our Family at our middle child's wedding.

No comments: