Monday, December 26, 2011

Holidays and family: what to do when they are far away?

Well, as they say, we aren't getting any younger.....especially my parents!  This year is especially hard for me, selfishly, I might add.  Both my parents moved into INdependent living communities due to their age and declining sturdiness.  I wasn't there when either of them moved and needed an extra hand, I wasn't there when they were in the hospital, I wasn't there when my mom needed to get her prescriptions picked up, or groceries, or just her daughter to be near for consolation and company.

I wasn't there.  Where was I, you ask?  In a town over ten hours hours northeast from them raising their grandchildren who are busy into sports, music, and their friends. In a town I absolutely detest, with no friends, no happy parish life, a cliquey community, snobby social clubs, and no common place to go.  Just home with my husband, daughters and 5 animals.  I know why I keep acquiring kittens.....sigh.

This is not abnormal, I know, many MANY of you guys live hours, if not oceans away from loved ones, parents, and siblings.  How do you do it?  Every year, I get blue missing my mom and brothers, regretting my kids not having the close relationships with their uncles and aunts along with their grandparents.  Especially my mom.

Can anyone help me find a solution to cope with this??

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I have some thoughts, but it's late. I am saying a prayer for consolation for you tonight. I promise tomorrow I will give you more. May God's peace be yours, deanna

EC Gefroh said...

Ebeth, I know how you feel! I am thousands of miles away from my mom and the rest of my family. My consolation is that my brother and sisters are there for our mom. It also helps that I talk with her on the phone twice a day. Merry Christmas my friend.

Therese said...

Ebeth, I am about 3 hours away from my mother so it isn't as far but sometimes those hours just seem too far.

I talk with my mum regularly on the phone like Esther and also have a brother and sister there with her. I cannot think of anything else that could help you but I will pray for consolation too.

((((((Hugs)))))