Friday, October 22, 2010

Every Morning I wake up

Obviously we all wonder how the day will go.  We have plans, obligations, people to meet, help, and responsibilities to attend to on a daily basis.  I don't think there is one person who could tell me they don't have anything to do on any given day....the folks I know anyway.

Every day brings new opportunities to make decisions that affect not just us, but those around us.  Everyday, we are responsible for something, someone, somewhere.

You know the lesson we learned in the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life"?  How George Bailey the star character is defeated financially and wants to do away with himself.  At the bridge, crying, his suicide is sidelined by an angel, Clarence who is looking to earn his wings.  Clarence shows George what life in Bedford Falls would be like without him.  The people, the places all across the community were very different and the contributions that George made, without him even knowing how deep and far reaching they were, made huge differences in the lives of his loved ones.  He realized how important he was to his community and wanted to go back and give it another try.  Learning what he did, made him want to live another day for another chance.

This is a movie, but with real life details that can't be disregarded.  One person does change lives, affect events, and make differences.  Our very existence in the world means something to someone somewhere.

That movie made me think about my own presence in the world.  Who have I helped, hurt, or affected in some way.  How can I be more aware of how I affect others around me.  Sometimes, obviously, we can not know who is watching, listening, and observing us. 

As a Catholic Christian, much of our evangelization is by example.  How does one live out their faith?  In their prayer life, during worship times at Mass, as a parent, friend, as neighbors, how do we touch someone.  Are they a better person for knowing us, have we shed hope and joy, love and the Word of God those around us.

Every morning I wake up asking God to help me be a better person, wife, and mother, so that those around me will be a little closer to Him and His son, Jesus.

3 comments:

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Lovely post..

Jenny said...

This post fits nicely with my recent reflection on Psalm 41. Thank you for the additional reminder of what it means to be a Catholic evangelist.

tgshaw (aka secondarycreations) said...

This post brings to mind my favorite quote attributed to St. Francis of Assisi: "Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words."